Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Month At UIC!


Bhavana K.
August 27th 2012: my first day of college. I was nervous and scared about getting lost around campus. Now it’s already five weeks later! I have found my way around campus, and now it’s my home away from home. There are many buildings at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) but only some have made me feel comfortable.
Before coming to UIC, I knew the basic background of the university: like what they offer for education, how much it would cost to attend, what the student life is like, etc. After starting school at UIC, I have learned more about what had to be destroyed in order to build the campus. In English class, I learned that historical sites were ruined along Halsted and Taylor Street to build UIC. Destruction of the historical sites meant the residents had to move out of their homes and relocate. It also meant that the Hull House settlement had to be removed. It also meant that the Hull House, which provided recently arrived immigrants with a place to stay, had to be removed. The Chicago Tribune did an article about all of the sites that had to be ruined to build UIC, but it never mentioned that if those sites were not ruined, then hundreds of thousands of students would not be getting an education. 
Even though many buildings were destroyed to create UIC, the campus itself has many buildings that are going to be talked about well into the future. The Student Services Building (SSB) will be known as a lifeline foe UIC freshman in the years to come. It’s a building that has a place for every office imaginable. As Nicole Galvin states in her blog, “It is home to so many important offices here at UIC.”  It houses the Financial Aid Office, Student Employment Office, Counseling Center, ID Center, and much more. Personally I think that SSB is a big help for getting situated at UIC. You might be overwhelmed when you first walk in, but you should get familiar with the building because there will be many visits to SSB during your years at UIC. The people at SSB have answered every question I asked them during my first week of school. They are very polite and understanding of your anxiety about the new school year. It’s a place that will always be visited by the students of UIC.  
SSB is not the only helpful building to know around the campus. The Behavioral Sciences Building (BSB) is a building almost every freshman knows. It’s where orientation was held back in June. As Melanne N. says in her blog, “There are very different shapes outlined along the exterior of BSB, which makes it very easy for anyone to find.” I can completely agree because during my first days on campus, BSB was the only building I could find due to its unusual different appearance. It’s a quiet place where I can always get my homework done. On the outside, the building seems like it should be an architectural museum. I sometimes can’t believe it’s where my classes are held. To some BSB might look gloomy and dull on the outside, but to me it’s a place where I can escape to. In BSB there is a cafeteria available to students, as well as a computer lab. I personally like the couches in the back behind the stairs where it’s really peaceful and I can get a lot of homework done. Occasionally, you will also find someone asleep on the couch before a class. Be sure to check out all that BSB has to offer during your first year at UIC.
The last building that has become an important part of my day is Stevenson Hall (SH). This building is an important part of my day at school. It’s where my classes are held, and it’s also a social gathering place for my friends and me. There is a lounge area with couches and desks to do homework or to talk quietly with friends. The building itself looks very inviting, unlike the other buildings around it. Outside of SH, there are many benches. If you can’t find an empty bench, then take a seat in the grass with a big tree hovering over you, protecting you from the bright sun. Ashley Clary stated in her blog that, “The little lounge area definitely makes Stevenson Hall seem more open and less soul-sucking.” I can relate with Ashley that SH is the only building that makes me feel all warm and comfortable as I walk in or out of the place.   
Even though I have only been at UIC for a little over a month, my original thoughts about the campus have changed. As I walk around the campus today, I can see just how diverse UIC really is. The history of what UIC is and how it has become what it is today can be seen in every inch of the campus. Being a Flame makes me excited to see what UIC holds for my future. My advice to all incoming Flames is to take advantage of all of the buildings that surround you. Also, take advantage of what UIC has to offer! My weeks at UIC so far have been amazing! I can’t wait to keep exploring the campus for the next four years.
Behavioral Sciences Building (BSB) 
Student Services Building (SSB) 

No comments:

Post a Comment