Sunday, October 7, 2012

Exploring The Science and Engineering Buildings


On my first day at UIC, it was difficult to find my courses in the different buildings. Each of the buildings have their own unique characteristics that help anyone recognize them. The environment had a relaxed atmosphere full of students and professors that day. Seeing many students walking around with curiosity to see more of the campus, I joined with them. I never expected to be surrounded by a diverse group of people. Without a doubt, it was a new experience for many freshmen like myself to see this environment.   
Once I got through the first day at UIC, I spent a while relaxing on a bench outside of the Science & Engineering South building. Then, I left to wander around to familiarize myself with the location. It was different from many of the other buildings in the campus, because it is surrounded by a field and a lot. The science and engineering buildings old compared to many others like the Lincoln Hall,  Douglas Hall, and the Lecture Center Halls; however, the old aged buildings contain remarkable features, creating a stunning university.
(Some of The Science and Engineering Buildings)
The sight caught my eyes on the buildings of science and engineering. The buildings have dark brown walls with dark tinted windows. They’re surrounded by tall trees and bright green grass, giving the area a feeling of safety. The Science and Engineering South building has a strange structure from the brick walls that makes it distinctive from the architecture buildings. The buildings of Science and Engineering Laboratories East and West are connected by a bridge in between. The Engineering Research Facility has a section of only windows and shiny cubes bunched together making the building an appealing site. Nevertheless, the science and engineering offices are one of the tallest buildings in campus. Each of the science & engineering buildings have remarkable features that makes the area outshine the other areas in campus.
In this area there are groups of students coming and going to their classes, or they sit to socialize on the benches and stairs of the buildings while they wait for classes to begin. Many UIC students use the space outside to do some studying for exams or to do homework. People take advantage of the space given for working, relaxing, or enjoying the surroundings of the area. 
(The View of the Science and Engineering South)
While I was observing the neighborhood, I noticed two students walking out of chemistry class. I approached them to ask some questions. I introduced myself to them and vice versa. The students’ names were Armando and Natalia. “What major did you guys pick?” I asked them. “I’m studying for pre-med,” she replied. “ I am undeclared right now,” he replied. After that, I asked what made the area with all the science and engineering buildings important to them. “Even though I am undeclared right now, I am thinking of becoming a biologist, so I will be coming often to these buildings,” Armando replied. “ I visit here often out of class to take advantage of the resources around here. I also have had many classes in the SES and SELE buildings, and the area is really peaceful to study for exams before class,” Natalia replied. Overall, they made me understand that the area was important to both of the students.
These buildings have important connections for the lives of both students and professors. Many professors give lectures in these buildings. For many students, they go to complete their major or minor in the departments of science and engineering. Most of the courses that are held in this area help UIC students become biologists, doctors, engineers, and many other professions. So, if you’re someone that would like to be involved in any of these familiar careers, it would be useful to visit the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment