Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Past Weeks At UIC......

So far, I have been an official college student for 2 months, and it feels absolutely amazing. My overall view of UIC has totally changed since the opinion that I had of the school during my orientation, back in May. When I first came to UIC back in May, I thought of it as a normal university. UIC wasn’t my first choice for university, so I had a nonchalant attitude about calling it my school for the next 4 years.  I had no idea the University of Illinois at Chicago had such history behind its name; and that there were so many interesting sites around UIC’s campus.             
Had I not came to UIC, I would have never known about the many historical sites that were destroyed along Halsted and Taylor street to build UIC. An article from the Chicago Tribune that discusses UIC’s history describes that area that was vivid, prior to UIC being built. Before UIC was built, Halsted and Taylor Street were in the midst of a multiethnic blue-collar neighborhood. The redevelopment of the area would cause the relocation of many longtime residents. The idea of UIC being built would mean the destruction of the historic Hull House settlement, which was a complex of social-service agencies that had assisted several generations of immigrants. But as I look back, if these pre-modern and historical sites were not destroyed, I would not be able to receive the superb education that I receive daily at UIC.  
  The Chicago Tribune also highlighted positive factors that came out of the destruction of these sites. They discussed how the changes also have helped the neighborhood surrounding UIC. At least half of the neighborhood between Halsted and Taylor Street were taken over by the university. But by the university being built, it helped to this area stabilize property values in a neighborhood where some sections were pretty low economically, which is very interesting.         
   Besides the fact that UIC has so many historical sites, there are so many big and unique buildings on campus that have drawn me to love my school even more. According to Bhavana Kolli’s blog post addressing the Quad, she calls it the heart of the campus, which I very much agree with. The Quad is a place I personally love to come to, just to relax. Sitting on a bench, underneath the trees is amazing. It is one of the best places you could be on campus. Kolli described how she felt while observing the Quad, by explaining how she felt carefree and at ease while sitting there on her break between classes. I sometimes feel the same way when visiting the Quad between my classes or whenever I can get a break. It’s one of those places on campus that you can relax, yet be social with your friends at the same time, which is what I have grown to love about the Quad.         
The one building on campus that I for one find most intimidating is University Hall, or UH for short. Ashley Clary wrote her blog post about this building and describes why some may feel as if UH is intimidating. She stated, “It might have a lot to do with the fact that you have to crane your neck to an uncomfortable degree in order to see the top. It might even have to do with the fact that there are ‘barriers’ surrounding it. Plus when you mix in the older people in suits and such, and all the cement, UH definitely gives off a serious and hard to approach vibe.” I agree with all of these descriptions of University Hall because I think of things like these all the time when visiting UH, or even around the area of UH. Ashley describes how UH doesn't really seem like the kind of place that'll become a part of her daily life at UIC. I agree with her thinking because I won’t be visiting University Hall that often either. Unless I need to talk to my professors about something or to drop something off in their mailboxes, I won't have a reason for visiting University Hall.         
Although I like all of the buildings on the UIC campus, one of my favorite buildings has to be Student Center East. There are so many restaurants, so many resting and lounging areas and two computer labs in Student Center East. I can grab a snack, rest a little and get work done all in one building. Germaine Kindred wrote his blog post on this building, and he describes it saying it’s similar to a mall. I fully agree with this comparison because there are so many resources inside of the Student Center East building to use from the bank to the many stores and restaurants inside. Kindred then goes on to describe Student Center East a little more in depth. He says, “Student Center East is equipped with two giant cafe type areas. One is a buffet style cafĂ© while the other is an all-out food court with Subway, Wendy's, Sbarro, and more. The Student Center East building also has an electronic book/supply store. An escalator ride away is a convenient store which is fast if you have a credit card and slow if you have cash.” I love Student Center East because it’s not only very convenient building to all to students, but it’s also convenient to the staff and faculty of UIC as well. Everyone can find use to something inside of this building.                                                 
Had I not came to UIC, I would not have discovered how great of a school it is. I would have never discovered the interesting history of, yet vivid of UIC and how much controversy was behind the building of this university all together. I now love UIC, and I am proud to call it my school for the next 4 years. There are so many different buildings and so many things to do on campus, as well. Every building serves a particular purpose on campus, and I love taking advantages of all of the resources that I am able to use in every building, while at school.
 
(A view of The Quad)

(The outside of University Hall.. scary, I know)

(The outside view of Student Center East)

No comments:

Post a Comment