Sunday, October 14, 2012

Response Blog - Joshua Williams


Joshua Williams

English 160

Response Blog

                       

            Upon entering UIC, I knew very little about the school. I knew that it is largely a commuter school that is located by the train and bus system. I knew that UIC has a traditional campus, unlike many colleges in Chicago. I knew that UIC is well known for the research that it does. That is about the extent of what I knew. I found my way to the residence hall where I would be staying. I knew very little about the function of the buildings. I stumbled around the campus, frequently looking at my schedule and the campus map. I didn’t have any friends. Being new to UIC, you might share some of these experiences. I will tell you, however, that it does get better. You will meet new people, you will learn your way around the campus, and you will learn about the function of each building. Soon you will be proud to call yourself a UIC student, and later you will be proud to call yourself a UIC graduate.

            The University of Illinois at Chicago has a very unique and interesting history.  The University of Illinois was founded in 1857. The various health colleges that the University of Illinois affiliated with merged with the University in 1913. These colleges banded together and eventually became the University of Illinois at the Medical Center (UIMC). After World War II, student veterans wanted a college education, and the University took the initiative. A Chicago Undergraduate Division was created on the Navy Pier in 1946, and offered two year degrees.  More people still wanted a public university education and the decision was made to use the current location in 1961. This campus, which was opened in 1965, was named the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle. It offered four year degrees and was a research-oriented school. The Medical Center merged with this new campus in 1982, and officially formed the University of Illinois at Chicago. This pushed the schools research to new heights, and drew in an increasing percentage of students wishing to live in the residence halls. Due to this demand, the South Campus was created in 2000, to provide students with more living space. Throughout the years UIC has only gotten better at providing its students for a bright and successful future. The tools acquired here at UIC are gained through hard work, and will help you wherever life may take you.


UIC Campus map.

 

            I have recently become acquainted with the buildings and resources here at UIC. The first facility I got to know was Commons West, Commons South, and the Courtyard. These are the residence halls where UIC students live. The building is large and brown, with a gothic styled architecture. There are five floors filled with great people, and the three residence halls are connected on the third floor by walkways. The hallways look hotel styled, and are usually clean. There are lounges strategically placed throughout the building, and the fifth floor tour lounge is very nice, with its big screen TV, kitchen, piano, and fantastic view. The mailboxes and laundry is on the first floor, and the front desk is on the second floor only a short walk away from the rooms. Walking past the front desk there is a computer lab, and walking past that I saw Student Center East. Student Center East serves a variety of functions. There is a large sitting area with a TV, which the students take advantage of to socialize and work. There are a number of places to eat in the inner circle, including Subway, Wendy’s, and a Burrito Bar, and all of these places are located on the second floor. There is also a Dunkin’ Donuts and a Baskin’ Robins close by. The second floor also hosts the UIC Station, a small store that sells snacks. On the first floor there is the cafeteria and the UIC Bookstore.

            I walked to the Recreation Center which is on the other side of Halsted Street. This building in large, and has large buildings. To UIC students it is free, and the public can pay to enter. Once inside I saw a swimming pool, a large gym, a track, and a couple basketball courts. There are also outside basketball and tennis courts located next to the building. On the other side of Student Center East the Quad is located.

 The Quad is a large, circular, concrete space with various benches placed loosely around the circle. This is a heavily used area often with people walking to class, talking to each other, or simply relaxing. The Lecture Halls are located around the Quad, in short buildings and in a circular fashion. The buildings are named A through E, and each building is in fair condition. South of the Lecture Halls is Taft Hall, Burham Hall, and Adams Hall. These buildings are used mostly for small discussion classes. Further south is the Science and Engineering building. Even further south there is a collection of fields. Thomas Beckham Hall is located very close to these fields, and houses a large number of upperclassmen. Walking from Student Center East and through the Quad I saw the Richard Daley Library. It is a very quiet and respectable place. There are an impressive number of books, and multiple sitting areas. As an avid reader I felt a certain joy at so much knowledge being at my disposal. Leaving the library and going northeast I quickly found myself at a small group of buildings. They turned out to be Lincoln Hall, Douglas Hall, and Grant Hall. Lincoln and Douglas Hall are connected by walkways, and the buildings are mainly used for their classrooms. Inside computer labs and lounge areas can be found, and it is very pleasant and modern. Grant Hall is very important because it host the Writing Center, which is a writing resource many of the student at UIC use. North of these buildings is the Art and Architecture building and it is strange. It has the shape of a double helix on the outside, which is very interesting, but the inside is plain. West of the Art and Architecture building I found Henry Hall, Jefferson Hall, Stevenson Hall, and University Hall. These buildings are used for the classrooms inside. University Hall is the largest building on campus and is imposing. Each floor belongs to a different subject, and so has a different feel. To the left I saw the Behavioral Sciences Building. This building has classes, a computer lab, and a cafeteria. Across the street (Harrison Street) I saw the UIC Theater and walking west I saw the Student Services Building which is interesting indeed. It used to be a mall and has been repurposed for a lot of the offices of UIC. Inside I found all of the ethnic group offices, the Office of Admissions, the Office of Career Services, the Counseling Center and much more. I liked this building because the indoor trees seemed out of place, and because it was a mall it was strange to see offices inside. As I walked back to my room in the Courtyard, I couldn’t help but be in awe of all that was there to help me on my journey. All-in-all I am really glad I got to know the campus, and understand where the campus resources are.

 Lecture Halls during class hours.

            I am satisfied with the campus as a whole. Although there is a lot of concrete, there are special areas of grass carefully maintained. The buildings of the campus are varied, some old some new, some have great resources, and others are just used for classes. The resources that are available make studying here easier, like the abundance of computer labs, and the Writing Center.  My time at UIC is just beginning, and I will no doubt use many of these wonderful resources. The campus really seems to be tailored to the needs of its students, and I am happy to be one of those students. Another strong point for the university is its diversity, and I get the impression that UIC strives to make sure students get to see other cultures. UIC is old, and I quickly saw evidence of this age (i.e. the interior of some of the older buildings). Furthermore, this university has struck a nice balance with many people busy with their studies, but still making time for fun. I don’t know what the future may hold, but I can say that my time here at UIC will help me to conquer anything that I may encounter.

           

Galvin, Nicole. Area 1, Student Services Building. Blackboard.uic.edu

Huizar, Yessica.  Area 2, Behavioral Sciences Building. Blackboard.uic.edu

Tapoi,  Elisabeth . Area 4, AA,GH,DH, and LH. Blackboard.uic.edu

Williams, Joshua. Area 5, Residence Halls. Blackboard.uic.edu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment