Sunday, October 7, 2012

Experience the Flame as a Flame!

Experience the Flame as a Flame!
Nature takes a toll in our daily lives. On a nice, warm day I like to wander about the city, admiring what the world has to offer. Unfortunately, you cannot do much while stuck in a classroom setting for an hour. Learning becomes routine, and routine can sometimes diminish my level of interest within the confined room. Going out and becoming one with my surroundings enhances the way I not only learn, but the way I perceive and acknowledge the environment around me.
As I start heading out classroom 138 in the Science and Engineering South Building (SES), walk down Taylor Street, and make a sharp right down Halsted, I encounter a view of the downtown area. This view consists of the Willis Tower, the UIC Forum, and a couple athletic fields beginning at Taylor Street and surpassing Roosevelt Road.
As I began walking down Halsted, I felt a sudden breeze that made me feel at ease. This easy feeling was followed by my realizing the difference of this part of campus compared to that of the Quad, located in the center of the UIC campus. The people I saw seemed to rush towards the center of the campus. Some ran, some biked, while others walked to the beat of their music. The baseball and softball fields were treated well by the workers and maintenance staff, thus providing the sense of a welcoming environment. Yet, it seemed as though no one ever really paid attention to what was going on behind SES.
As I started approaching Roosevelt Road, I noticed soccer players interacting with each other on the field. On one corner was the field, while on the opposite of Roosevelt, was a community church, Saint Francis De Asis, open to the public, located right beside the physical education building. Across from the field is a large parking lot, which looks upon the Forum. The Forum resembles a smaller version of the infamous UIC Pavilion. This same Forum is host to graduation ceremonies as well as other events carried throughout the year. All these buildings, such as the Forum and Maxwell Street, have a significant mark in Chicagoan history. For example, Maxwell Street was home to the Maxwell Street Market and was of great Irish descent. Many fought for it to be kept due to its significance in that community. The “Chicago Blues” was born there making it yet more significant for the people whom resided there. This flea market began to slowly diminish as more expansion of the city as well as the University began. It would be cut off and divided into two until it finally was permanently moved to Roosevelt Road and Des Plaines to make more room for Residence Halls. All though these halls resided further down the area I was roaming, they still had an impact on the University and community as a whole.
Continuing to walk down Halsted and passing Roosevelt, I began encountering more and more fields open to sports ranging from baseball to softball and soccer as well. A track along the edge was visible and open to UIC students. I stopped a student and asked why she was sitting down in this particular area of campus and she replied politely by stating, “I like it here. It’s away from all the chaos and rushed students located by the Quad and lecture buildings. I find it to be peaceful and enjoy it.” Another student carrying a duffle bag was eager to also respond when I approached her with the same question. Her response was, “I’ve been playing softball since I was 8 years old, and knowing that the university I attend offers me a field to express my love for this sport, then why not play some ball?” These two girls have 2 completely different reasons for being in the same place, and if you don’t find it at all fascinating as I do, then maybe you should take a wider look around or possibly visit the recreational fields yourself.
Not many students realize all the recreational facilities and space given to them on campus, and this therefore contributes to the isolation of this section of the university. Other important attributes to take in mind when one day you visit this “part of town”are the police station located right near the Transportation Facility on the edge of Morgan Street. You know, just in case you need help finding your class or even getting there as an incoming freshmen. Trust me, I know how it feels. But the people there are friendly and more than glad to help so do not be afraid to walk in. Just ask!
So as I walked back towards the Quad, I was comforted by the new discoveries I made while walking around campus. Not only did I feel a sense of tranquility, but also a feeling of freedom to make choices in involving myself in extracurricular activities. By doing so, I would not only be taking advantage of what this enormous campus has to offer, but benefiting at the same time by familiarizing myself with the people who affect my surroundings, and therefore affect me as well.
So next time you’re on your break and just want to go on a tiny adventure, know that the adventure that you seek is all around you, with paths leading the way to class but to also the experiences offered right in front of your very own eyes. Walk down Halsted, and see for yourself.
                                                                                       
                              SES buliding located right behind the baseball field at UIC.

                                              
                                                   View outside the baseball field at UIC.


                                                  
                                  Soccer players engaging in a soccer game with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment